CHEARSLEY PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 19TH FEBRUARY 2018 IN THE CRICKET CLUB AT 7.30PM
Councillors: Nic Brown (NB), John Lewis (JL), Martin Hearmon (MH), Julia Witcher (JW), John Howard (JH), Paul Bown (PAB), Michael Hawkett
Parish Clerk: Helen Spurgeon
Parishioners: There were 38 Parishioners
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
JW declared an interest in the planning application for Chilton Road and excused herself from that part of the meeting.
PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
- A parishioner requested that the village noticeboard be lowered.
- A parishioner expressed thanks for the clearing of Dark Lane footpath.
- A parishioner informed the meeting that stones are coming off the drive onto the road at 7 Church Lane and asked whether there was a stipulation to have a yard of granite sets. ACTION: PC to find out.
- The corner of the church car park is getting worn away by lorries. A parishioner asked if anything can be done to prevent this. NB reported that there is a big initiative this year to look at trees and verges in Chearsley.
- A parishioner commented on the entrance to Hicks path, it is on a gradient and her mobility scooter is tipping. NB explained that this would all be part of the village improvement works for 2018.
Michael Edmonds (ME), Robert Parkes (RP)
2. APPROVAL OF JANUARY 2018 MINUTES
Minutes were agreed as a true record and signed by Chairman, Nic Brown.
· 18/00308/APP – Land South-West of Chilton Road, Chearsley
There were two representatives from Rectory Homes present at the meeting in order to answer any questions that may arise. Some parishioners were unhappy with Rectory Homes being present at the village meeting so it was agreed that Rectory Homes would hold a separate information meeting on Monday 26th February in the Cricket Club. The AVDC comment date of 28th February will therefore need to be extended. ACTION: Clerk to confirm extension date with AVDC tomorrow. The two representatives from Rectory Homes left the meeting.
· The Village Plan was discussed. It was intended to give a guide to the direction of the village and the number of new houses. No more infill in the lanes, development to be on the edges of the village and the need for smaller, affordable houses was agreed by the majority. It suggested 10-20 new homes over the next 20 years. The Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan (VALP) from November 2017 classifies Chearsley as a small village with no requirement for any more housing.
· A parishioner commented that there is enough house building going on in neighbouring villages to meet demand.
· A parishioner asked if there was anything different with this new application from the previous one that was rejected. The current application has improved landscaping, 9 houses this time rather than 10 previously, this application does not include a village hall overflow car park, there is one bank of houses rather than two in the previous application. There have been two previous planning applications for this piece of land, both of which were dismissed on appeal. This application is very similar to the previous one with visual character being the main issue.
· This time the planning application is being put through by Rectory Homes rather than the landowner.
· Chearsley does not have a strategic plan. The VALP is an emerging plan where Aylesbury Vale has to build around 15,000 new homes over the coming years.
· A parishioner commented that the 2 main reasons to refuse this application are that the land is outside village limits and is in an area of attractive landscape. Also, it is agricultural land and there is a public footpath with views out over the site which will be lost.
· It was questioned whether village infrastructure can support the extra housing.
· NB urged parishioners to write in to AVDC with their views.
· JL informed the meeting that the PC are being asked by AVDC to put in an appropriate S106 project. If this development goes ahead a sport and leisure contribution will be generated.
· Each of the councillors gave their views on the application. Everyone opposes the application. It is no different to the previous application and there is the risk of more development in the future. The reasons for opposing the application need to quote from the planning inspectors report from the previous application. The PC should go ahead and supply a S106 project to AVDC.
· The PC resolved to oppose the application. ACTION: NB to draft reasons for opposition for Clerk to submit to AVDC.
· 16/03565/APP – 2-4 Winchendon Road, Chearsley HP18 0DP
This application is significantly different to the original application which was for 9 houses. It is now for 5 houses: 2 x 2 bed rentals, 2 x 3 bed affordable housing on a shared equity scheme and 1 x 4 bed freehold to be sold.
· A parishioner asked if the scheme can be changed but this is highly unlikely.
· A parishioner commented that the site may end up being much larger if the other two houses are knocked down in the future. She said that the site is in an area of attractive landscape, outside the village limits and is at the entrance to the village.
· VAHT will be building the houses.
· Some of the reasons to object to this application are similar to the reasons to object to the Rectory Homes application. However, this is a brownfield site. Each application is assessed on its own merits.
· A parishioner thanked the PC for allowing everyone to express their views.
· JW commented that in the VALP Chearsley would have windfall sites which are brownfield and Winchendon Road fits into this category.
· NB reported that the application was previously refused on too many dwellings on the site.
· A parishioner commented that the village needs to be able to say what type of housing is needed.
· JW reported that the footprint of the houses in this application is closer to what is there currently.
· A parishioner asked whether Rectory would change their plan to include affordable housing.
· A parishioner said that the view from Cuddington will be of these two blocks of houses.
· Each of the councillors gave their views on the application. JW and PAB need more time to consider and will come back with their view by Friday 23rd February. JH, MH and JL support the application. JL commented that the application brings affordable housing to the village and that the existing houses are an eyesore. He is concerned that the site could get sold to another developer. The PC’s requests for change have been met. There are no sight line issues. He is however concerned that it may set a precedent and there could be further infill.
· The parishioners were asked to show their view: the majority support this application.
· The parishioners were thanked for attending and contributing to the meeting.
· 18/00485/APP – 5 Bernards Close, Chearsley HP18 0BX
Side extension. ACTION: Clerk to submit no objections to AVDC.
· 17/04592/APP – 2 Bernards Close, Chearsley HP18 0BX
After careful consideration and a site visit in December, the PC supported this application.
4. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
· UK Power Networks. To be contacted regarding the mess left behind following work at village hall. Village hall are picking this up.
· Stockwell on Church Lane. Clerk confirmed that the Stockwell is covered by public liability insurance. Grants: ACTION: JH to identify 2 or 3 community charities and liaise with Derek Allen regarding work required.
· Grit bins. Bins are to be repaired by Bucks Landscapes and a new one to be located by Stoney Furlong. ACTION: NB to chase up.
· War Memorial repair and conservation. NB confirmed that the war memorial is owned by the PC which is documented in old minutes. ACTION: JL to produce requirement statement for contractors to quote against. Advice from other parishes, such as Shabbington and Thame, who have completed similar projects needs to be sought.
· Trees. NB now has a map plotting all the trees the PC are responsible for.
· Bus stop. ACTION: JH to look at the installation of a noticeboard inside the bus shelter to display children’s art work.
· Defibrillator. Clerk confirmed that the PC are insured for defibrillators up to the value of £5000. A number of volunteers have come forward to help with the defibrillator.
There was no correspondence outside the Agenda items.
6. CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AVDC AND BCC COUNCILLORS
Nothing new to report.
· The monthly finance report has been circulated to Councillors. At present there is just over £26,000 in the bank.
· The sum of £1,400 was donated by the village, from the proceeds of the summer fair. The PC would like to record their thanks for this.
· Orders for Payment
· Cricket Club rental £20.
· H Spurgeon £230
· Bank charges £6.50
· Ringway Jacobs – feasibility study £4512.56
8. REPORTS FROM COUNCILLORS ATTENDING MEETINGS AND OUTSIDE ORGANISATIONS
There were none.
PAB has been sent an invitation to the TfB focus group on 14th March 4pm to 6pm but he is unable to attend. ACTION: JW to advise PAB if she is able to attend instead.
9. DEVOLUTION OF GRASS CUTTING
PAB has emailed BCC requesting the 2018 grass cutting schedule.
10. MAINTENANCE AND MANAGEMENT OF THE NEW PC WEBSITE
We need to ascertain what is involved in maintaining the website. JL agreed to take this on initially to see how much work is involved.
11. GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
Clerk attending ‘Data protection & freedom of information’ training on 14th March. JL was given the authority to also attend a course if required.
12. BEST KEPT VILLAGE COMPETITION 2018
It was agreed to consider entering the competition in 2019.
13. S106 CONTRIBUTION CHILTON ROAD DEVELOPMENT, SPORT/LEISURE PROJECT
Current ideas are play park, cricket pavilion, car parking. A response needs to be drafted and submitted to AVDC.
14. UPDATE ON TRAFFIC CALMING MEASURES
There has been a lack of response from AVDC. ACTION: JH to continue to chase.
15. TREE REPORT
NB now has the tree map from ME.
16. PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
There were no questions.
17. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
· Planning Liaison Conference at The Gateway, AVDC, 20th February 2018 17.30-19.30, JH & PAB to attend.
· JH & PAB gave their apologies for the next PC meeting.
· Format, date and location of April AVM to be confirmed. ACTION: Clerk to agenda for next meeting and confirm with Angela Gray if the new village hall will be available then.
18. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING in Chearsley Cricket Club
· Monday 19th March 2018 at 7.30pm