CHEARSLEY PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 16TH OCTOBER 2017 IN THE CRICKET CLUB AT 7.30PM
Councillors: Nic Brown (NB), John Lewis (JL), Martin Hearmon (MH), Julia Witcher (JW), Michael Hawkett
Parish Clerk: Helen Spurgeon
Responsible Finance Officer: Robert Parkes (RP)
Parishioners: There were 3 Parishioners
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no interests declared.
PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
A Parishioner enquired as to who is responsible for the hedges behind the Stockwell on Church Lane. This is the responsibility of the Parish Council. NB explained that there is a proposal on the Stockwell to clean and maintain the pond and carry out a proper survey to assess the repair work needed for its future preservation. ACTION: Clerk to investigate what grants are available to fund this project.
A Parishioner requested an update on the planning application for 2-4 Winchendon Road. The PC objected to this application and are awaiting next steps from AVDC.
Michael Edmonds (ME), Paul Bown (PAB), John Howard (JH)
2. APPROVAL OF SEPTEMBER 2017 MINUTES
Minutes were agreed as a true record and signed by Chairman, Nic Brown.
3. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
• Hedge by the Cricket Club needs cutting back. ACTION: JH to ensure this is done by the Cricket Club.
• Trees in Village. ACTION: ME to identify on a map trees the Parish Council are responsible for. ACTION: Clerk to request again that ME sends out map ASAP. Trees requiring work: crown lift to the walnut tree on Dark Lane by Fenella’s house, pruning of hedges by Village Hall, hedges on left of School Lane, plum tree overhanding the Stockwell. ACTION: JL to obtain quote for the work.
• Insurance policy review. A new insurance policy is now in place.
• BCC grass cuts. These have now been done. ACTION: PAB to obtain dates for 2018 cuts.
• Mike Heybrook’s footpath report. ACTION: JH to email Mike Heybrook to see if it is possible to get the work done.
• Chearsley flag and PC logo. ACTION: NB to circulate final draft of the logo. A decision needs to be made on the winner of the flag competition at Long Crendon School. All of the designs could be displayed in the bus shelter.
• New dog bin at Stoney Furlong. ACTION: NB to check if dog bin has been installed.
• Grit bins. These are to be repaired by Bucks Landscapes and a new one to be located by Stoney Furlong.
• Bus shelter works. The new litter bins are in and the works are almost complete, just the windows to go in which are on order.
• Grove Farm. The Clerk has contacted Environmental Health at AVDC regarding complaints of a bad smell. Further information sent to AVDC. ACTION: Clerk to chase AVDC for a response.
• Defibrillator. We are currently awaiting a quote for the defibrillator. ACTION: JL to check which supplier Cuddington used.
• War Memorial repair and conservation. Ownership of the war memorial is still
unknown. ACTION: JL to check ownership with the Church. JL to produce requirement statement for contractors to quote against.
Remembrance Sunday - ACTION: Clerk to fill out online form to request road closure. ACTION: MH to check procedure for the flag.
• Training. BALC run a training course called ‘Demystifying Planning’ for any Councillors wishing to attend. The next course is on 6th March.
No new planning applications received.
There was no correspondence outside the Agenda items.
6. CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AVDC AND BCC COUNCILLORS
Nothing new to report.
· The annual audit is now complete.
· The monthly finance report has been circulated to Councillors. Year to date expenditure is £12,700, against the full year precept of £32,000. Cash in the bank at the end of September was £41,000.
· Orders for Payment
· For bus shelter works, bins and railings: NGW £2051, Helpful Hirings £63, Kings Langley Building Supplies £790
· BALC training course £63.11
· Noticeboard varnishing £25
· The annual grant payments to the Village Hall and Church were agreed. £300 each as budgeted. To be reviewed for next year’s budget.
· A budget setting meeting for 2018/19 needs to be arranged. ACTION: RP to arrange meeting.
8. REPORTS FROM COUNCILLORS ATTENDING MEETINGS AND OUTSIDE ORGANISATIONS
Councillors JW and ME attended the Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan – Parishes Seminar on 04/10/17. It concentrated on the sustainability of housing development. Chearsley is not allocated any new homes as it is a small village. The draft plan should be in by March with the plan being adopted by the end of 2018. There is a meeting of the district council on 18th October to discuss the VALP. ACTION: Cllr Michael Hawkett to provide feedback on this meeting to the PC at the November meeting.
9. TfB FEASIBILITY STUDY
The study proposed 8 options for traffic calming:
1. Enhanced gateway features
2. Road markings
3. New traffic signs
4. New footway by bus shelter
5. Extend footway western end of village
6. New footway at top of School Lane
7. Mitigate verge damage by HGV’s
8. Vertical traffic calming (not recommended)
To do everything would cost £85k + VAT. The PC recommends doing the first three options this year at a cost of £20k + VAT. There is a meeting with Trevor Bonsor on 27th October to progress matters. Councillors agreed to obtain quotes for the next meeting in the hope of starting work in the new year.
10. APPLICATION FOR LAF FUNDING
The PC will put in an application for 2018/19 funding towards the later phase of traffic calming.
11. NEW PC WEBSITE
Work on the new PC website is well underway and looking good. The rate of pay for the contractor was agreed at £150 per day. It is likely to be 8 days work but will be capped at 10 days. There will be a presentation to the Councillors of the new website once it is complete. Reminder to Councillors to send in their biographical notes.
12. 2018 MEETING DATES
It was agreed to continue to hold meetings on the 3rd Monday of the month. ACTION: Clerk to circulate 2018 meeting dates and book CCC through to March.
13. PC GOVERNANCE
ACTION: RP to produce Financial Regulations and Risk Assessment documents for the PC.
14. TO ASSIGN A PARISH COUNCILLOR RESPONSIBLE FOR REVIEWING THE INSURANCE POLICY
NB agreed to do this.
15. PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
A Parishioner enquired what the timescale was for the Church Lane parking bays. ACTION: PC to confirm.
16. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
· Horse chestnut tree. The work is now complete.
· Updating of Chearsley map. Two members of the WI have updated all of the house names. An IT professional is now needed to update the map. ACTION: NB to ask Leif Hytten if he can help.
· Xmas tree lights. It was agreed to purchase new lights.
· Poppy wreath. ACTION: Clerk to order.
17. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING in Chearsley Cricket Club
· Monday 20th November 2017 at 7.30pm