CHEARSLEY PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 15th MAY 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM
Councillors: Nic Brown (NB), John Lewis (JL), Julia Witcher (JW), Martin Hearmon (MH), Paul Bown (PAB), Michael Edmonds (ME ), Michael Hawkett
Parish Clerk: Helen Spurgeon
Responsible Finance Officer: Robert Parkes (RP)
Parishioners: There were 2 Parishioners
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no interests declared.
1. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
Nic Brown elected Chairman.
John Howard (JH)
3. ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN
John Lewis elected Vice Chairman.
4. DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE BY CHAIRMAN
Signed by Nic Brown, Chairman.
5. REPRESENTATIVES OF COMMITTEES/WORKING GROUPS
Michael Heybrook to continue as Footpaths Officer.
PB & JL: Village Hall Representatives.
ME: Parochial Church Council Representative.
Clerk: responsible for reviewing insurance policy and for regular monitoring of location and use of assets. ACTION: NB to advise Clerk.
JH: Currently dealing with a number of transport projects.
It was decided not to assign any further areas of responsibility to specific Councillors but to continue to do this on a project basis that has clear boundaries.
PB requested for 2018 to have a separate Agenda to cover the AGM items and then a standard Parish Council meeting Agenda to follow.
PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
Margaret Moreby asked the Parish Council to confirm who the Village Hall representative is. ME is the ongoing representative but for the rebuild project it is JL and PB.
6. APPROVAL OF MARCH 2017 MINUTES
Minutes were agreed as a true record and signed by Chairman, Nic Brown.
7. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
· Bank Mandate forms. These have now been submitted.
· Trees in Village. There is no list of public owned trees in Chearsley. ACTION: ME to identify on a map trees the Parish Council are responsible for.
· War Memorial repair and conservation. ACTION: Clerk and JL to complete War Memorials Trust Grant Application form.
· Signage for Village Green. The first ‘No Parking’ sign is to be removed. ACTION: MH.
· Bus Shelters. New bus stop signs have been ordered. ACTION: NB to make payment. Wooden benches and flooring in bus shelters are to be replaced. ACTION: MH to instruct Jon Parry to carry out work over the summer holidays. MH has put a screw in the plywood in the bus shelter roof to hold it together. ACTION: JW to double check inside of bus shelter roof. ACTION: NB to contact Jay in the shop to see if he is able to replace the bin outside the shop.
· Communication. ACTION: JW to set up Chearsley PC Facebook page by June meeting.
· Kerbing. The kerbing work in Dark Lane is due to start on Monday 22nd May 2017.
· Approach Roads to Chearsley. The Councillors have had the report from the meeting with Transport for Bucks on 2nd May and now have the support of the newly elected Councillor (Clive Harriss). JH/NB still need to do more work regarding involvement of Thames Water (contact with Dave Smith/Anna Coles).
· Feasibility Study. Initial meeting with Trevor Bonsor (24th March) - report circulated to PC members. TfB have already implemented speed tests on Aylesbury and Crendon Road. Initial proposals are due in next few weeks.
· LAF Funding. We have been advised that the cost of the Feasibility Study is not now eligible for 2017/18 LAF Funding because work commenced during March. It is hoped that we will be able to apply for support for some of the new traffic calming measures recommended in the Feasibility Study (under the heading of ‘implementation’). JH will try and arrange this following further discussions with Trevor Bonsor/Korinne Leney and resubmit our application by the deadline of 1st June and will keep PC posted on the detail of options available before submitting the final application, which will need to be finalised before the next PC meeting.
· Defibrillator. This is to go in the bus shelter but an electricity supply to the bus shelter is needed. ACTION: NB to send Paul Oliver electrical report to JL. ACTION: JL to follow up with Paul Oliver or appropriate electrical contractor.
· Pruning of horse chestnut tree. South Bucks Tree Surgeons have quoted £980+VAT to carry out the work. It was agreed to go ahead.
· CHUF parking. NB spoke to Hannah Eames to request parents do not park on grass verges.
· 16/03565/APP – 2-4 Winchendon Rd, Chearsley HP18 0DP
The amended plans are a reduction in the number of dwellings from 7 to 5. The PC had No Objections to the first application but requested certain conditions in the planning consent. ACTION: NB to review plans and previous PC comments and submit a response for the Clerk to comment by 17th May.
· A discussion took place as to whether on future planning applications the PC should record whether the decision to support or oppose an application is unanimous or a majority decision. ACTION: PB to send a proposal on this topic to the Clerk for discussion at the next meeting.
· 17/01679/ALB – The Old Farmhouse, The Green, Chearsley HP18 0DJ
Replacement of six windows. This is a new application with comments requested by 14th June. ACTION: Clerk to check on planning portal whether the conservation office have been involved.
There was no correspondence outside the Agenda items.
10. CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AVDC AND BCC COUNCILLORS
To note our new BCC councillor is Clive Harriss.
a. Orders for Payment – cheques were issued to BALC for our membership renewal and MH’s Councillor Induction Training, to MP Printers (Chearsley AVM leaflet) and for the Clerk’s salary.
b. Audit 2016/17 - Jacqui Porteous was appointed as Internal Auditor and her report has been received. There were 2 main points to note. Firstly, Venetia Davies will continue to help the PC on a consultancy basis as required, rather than as an employee. Secondly, the PC has not reclaimed for any VAT. This is an annual job which should take around 2-3 hours to complete. ACTION: RP to send Jacqui Porteous a copy of the invoices and instruct her to reclaim the VAT. ACTION: PB to obtain VAT number from Jon Parry. ACTION: JL to contact Jacqui Porteous to obtain a quote for reclaiming the VAT on a yearly basis going forward. The deadline for the Annual Return is 30th June 2017, this is almost complete and will be sent off shortly.
c. Finance Report - May 2017 – noted and approved. The report included information on the PC moving to electronic banking payments:
“Discussions have taken place with Lloyds over the possibility of the Parish Council moving to electronic payments in the future. This is a viable option, only if the PC is prepared to allow one single person to make electronic payments. If the Council chooses to follow this route, it is proposed that the RFO be the delegated ‘payer’ on behalf of the Council, but that electronic payments be made ONLY against invoices or other documents authorised by a different authorised signatory, to ensure that all payments are made under the ‘four-eyes’ principle and are, in effect, authorised by two appropriate signatories.”
The PC agreed to go ahead with electronic banking.
d. Approval of expenditure of Village Hall funds – payment was agreed to be made to the Village Hall. ACTION: JL to let RP know exact payee.
e. Creation of a new bank account to manage Village Hall funds – this was agreed. ACTION: RP to open a sub-account specifically to receive stage payment from AVDC, and pay them onto the village hall committee.
f. To propose a donation to the Village Hall fund under Section 137 – for 2017/18 this is limited to £7.57 per elector with 433 electors in Chearsley. This is something the PC may consider if budget allows.
12. REPORTS FROM COUNCILLORS ATTENDING MEETINGS AND OUTSIDE ORGANISATIONS
There were none.
13. TO FORMALLY REVIEW THE ANNUAL VILLAGE MEETING
Councillors agreed it was an excellent, well attended meeting and had received positive feedback from parishioners. Thanks to JH for all his hard work. Going forward the PC would like to see more attendance at the monthly meetings.
· Parking at the end of Bernards Close will be included in the feasibility study.
14. PC GOVERNANCE
· Equalities Policy – approved and adopted.
· Financial Regulations and Risk Assessment– ACTION: RP to review by the next meeting.
15. MIKE HEYBROOK’S FOOTPATHS REPORT
Thanks were paid to Mike for repairing the gates. JH is arranging a meeting with Mike to discuss issues raised in the report.
16. NOMINATING AN ASSET OF COMMUNITY VALUE – CHEARSLEY STORES
ACTION: NB to discuss with shop operators and report back at next meeting.
17. SUGGESTED FLAG FOR CHEARSLEY
ACTION: NB to circulate proposed design. Other designs will also be investigated.
18. WORKING WITH OTHER PCs
NB has spent time with Cuddington and Ashendon PCs. It was suggested that a representative from each of the PCs get together quarterly to discuss issues. ACTION: Clerk to agenda for discussion at next meeting.
19. STREET FURNITURE FOR VILLAGE GREEN
The PC needs to press on with the procurement of railings and litter bins for by the bus stop. It was decided to delay the purchase of bollards for the Village Green until after the TfB feasibility study as this may help decide what the best solution is. The initial meeting for the feasibility study has indicated that restoring a more ‘olde worlde’ ambiance in villages encourages drivers to slow down.
20. PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
A Parishioner asked whether Graham would be trimming the hedges by the public footpaths again this year. The PC confirmed this would be happening. ACTION: Clerk to check website for dates of BCC grass cuts.
21. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
There were none.
22. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING in Chearsley Village Hall
· Monday 19th June 2017 at 7.30pm